FDA Special Processes at Retail course coming to Washington!
The Washington State Department of Health's Food Safety Program is hosting the FD312 Special Processes course, which is a National Environmental Health Association (NEHA)-taught course. The class is scheduled for February 6-7, 2018, and the location is still being determined. Please note that there are pre-requisites that must be completed through NEHA's Learning Management System prior to attending. Click here for instructions on how to access the pre-requisites. Completion of the pre-reqs will be verified by the FDA Training Officer.
Registration will be open soon. Hotel information will be added soon.
The FD312 Special Processes at Retail course explores the specific types of food processing in retail food establishments which are required by the FDA Food Code to have a variance and mandatory HACCP plan. Topics will include:
3. Use of Food Additives
4. Reduced Oxygen Packaging
5. Live Molluscan Shellfish Tanks
6. Sprouted Seeds
7. Processing and Packaging Juice
8. Custom Processing of Animals
9. Any other process determined by a Regulatory Authority to require a variance/HACCP plan
The course will focus on the microbiology of these various forms of food processing at retail, specific concerns for each process, and necessary controls for the hazards associated with each process. Particular emphasis will be placed on reduced oxygen packaging (ROP) in retail settings. The course will include practical evaluation of various food samples, verification and validation of HACCP plans, and approaches to conducting inspections.
General Prerequisites: To obtain access to NEHA's Learning Management System, click here.
1. Completion of ORA New Hire training curriculum web courses prior to attending as referenced in Standard 2, Voluntary National Retail Food Regulatory Program Standards.
3. Previous experience inspecting retail establishments.
4. Complete online modules available through Learning Management System:
a. Fermentation at Retail (FD8009W)
b. Curing, Smoking, Drying of Meat, Poultry and Fish and the Processing of Fermented Sausages (FD8005W)
c. Reduced Oxygen Packaging at Retail (FD8004W)
d. Juicing at Retail (FD8008W)
e. Shellfish Tanks at Retail (FD8007W)
f. Custom Processing of Meats at Retail (FD8006W)